If you have two loaves of bread sell one and buy flowers. For although the bread will nourish your body, the flowers will nourish your soul.

Friday, February 6, 2009

One Man's Trash...


I love flea markets, yard sales, thrift shops. There are several reasons. One of course, is money. We made the decision early in our marriage, that I would stay home to raise our children. I had that choice. I know not everyone has that option, but I did and I've never regretted it. I loved being a stay at home mom. But it also meant being thrifty. A great majority of my home is furnished with yard sale, estate sale, second hand shop, hand me down stuff. But it has also been a lot of fun being creative in that way. Reading a lot of magazines and books, and watching a lot of home and garden tv has taught me to look at things with an eye for what it could be. Which is reason number two. It does make you more creative and gives you so much satisfaction to do something yourself. And reason number three. Over the years I have become more and more earth conscious. Recycling is really important to me. I do it with cans and bottles, etc, and I love to do it with cast off belongings. There is so much "junk" out there. But there is also an awful lot of reusable/repurposable stuff, too. And every time I repurpose something, I feel I have done something good in my own tiny little corner of the world.


I'm going to start posting some of my finds, both new and old, on my blog. For example, we stopped at a flea market two Sundays ago while on a drive. I found these two wooden, like new, paper sorters for only seven dollars apiece. Woo-hoo!! They fit perfectly on top of my work station and I finally have a way to keep my cardstock nice, with easy access. I'm easy to please.

1 comment:

J H said...

Sweet! Love the paper holders. I may have to hunt for some when I get to TX; all my papers are stacked in two baskets, and I have to dig through to find anything...